Content marketing is one of the best ways to earn organic traffic. One reason organized traffic happens is due to the keywords used in the content. Even if you aren’t actively trying to use keywords, the search engines think you are. The search engines use the titles, headers, and other information on your webpages to assign relevance to your site based on the search terms your audience uses to find you.
You can make this all work better by planning to use keywords and content strategically. You can only be strategic if you have a plan in place.
- Conduct Keyword Research – Don’t just go into creating content blindly. Instead, you want to craft a plan, and that plan starts with the keywords you want to rank for. The keywords that you want to help you get customers are based on your niche, your audience, and your products and services or the problems you solve.
- Create High-Quality Content – Don’t just publish any content. You need to have high-quality content that not only search engines will like, but your audience likes too. If it’s written or created halfway, your customers won’t be impressed enough to get their credit card out and buy from you.
- Pay Attention to On-Page SEO – When you put the content online, you need to pay close attention to on-page search engine optimization. That includes creating the right types of titles, headers, and including internal linking and source linking to ensure that your website looks authoritative.
- Promote Your Content – Just publishing content to your website isn’t going to get you the results that you want. Instead, you need also to promote your content. Promote across your social media networks and in email repeatedly to ensure it gets looks.
- Repurpose Your Content – Take your most popular content and create more of it by repurposing it into new forms. For example, a popular blog post can become a popular YouTube video. A popular webinar can become a popular white paper or case study.
- Ensure Your Content Is Readable – While search engines are fantastic and send you customers, the most critical person who reads your content is your customer. Ensure that the content is easily understandable and readable by them. Check your grammar, your punctuation, and white space to make sure it looks good and is easy to consume.
- Develop Topic Clusters – Keywords are awesome, but there are other ways to come up with content ideas that will still work for search engine optimization. All a topic cluster consists of is a central topic or focus, which is often called your pillar or epic content. You can use mind mapping to come up with content clusters by starting with a core topic and the developing subtopics and then finally links from there.
- Develop More Long-Form Content – Search engines like long-form content. The reason is that it looks authoritative. Start with pillar or epic content and then work your way through the topics to create content that is in-depth and full of research and proof.
Content marketing is the best way not only to find your audience but also to demonstrate your expertise to your audience. You can use content to build trust, create awareness, and develop a relationship with your audience without keywords, but you’re going to be more successful if you use these tips.